Hello,

First, please excuse the forum photo - I don't have a picture of myself on my computer (it's a work machine) and I didn't seem to be able to join the forum without one.

I am working on a project to provide 3D data to Field Engineers embedded in PDFs - RPS 3D PDF (or, more precisely, the U3D output from the product) looks to be the perfect solution as the data is currently in SketchUp.

My problem is that I cannot find a way of having the separate components of the model listed and individually addressable in the Model Tree.  All I get in my PDF file is "model" > "Default Face". The "place I am going" is illustrated in this link:

http://www.microtype.com/showcase/3DAsst/PartEmphasis-3d.pdf

As you can see in that link, the model shown there has individually addressable components.

I have named all the components in my model within Sketchup but maybe I am not naming them in the correct field?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Philip

Views: 236

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Currently RPS 3D PDF only makes U3D files where the faces are grouped by SketchUp material, so the only it would work for you is to use a single unique material for all the faces in each component.

We have been working on adding a feature where we would group the faces by the top level layer, but that is not working for us yet. Once that is working, I imagine we could also group by the top most component name...but it is not something that is available now.

First, please excuse the forum photo - I don't have a picture of myself on my computer (it's a work machine) and I didn't seem to be able to join the forum without one.

It is just an "avatar". It doesn't need to be a photo of you.

But forums look much more friendly when each user has a different icon.

Rich, Al, Many thanks for the very quick replies. I have tried this and I can see that different materials in SketchUp convert into separate objects within the Model Tree - exactly as I had hoped. Even though this is means manual labelling of the parts in SketchUp, I can see that this may not be too onerous - we only have approximately 200 parts to label, the rest of the model is "background" and context.

I will continue playing - hopefully I will be able to get this working. Thank you very much for your help. I will keep you posted on how it goes and post up the results (if I get that far!).

Best regards

Philip

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Render Plus created this Ning Network.

Search

Enter a phrase here to search the entire Render Plus web site:

Translate

© 2024   Created by Render Plus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service