I have bought the book on iRender and understand the concept of reversal for a bump map on a stone wall, but how do I actualy do it?

Creating your own "true" bump maps of complex images is probably difficult. You would take a standard image of the surface and color it by depth. A good Photo Shop user may be able to do this.

But you may be able to add realism to some images more easily.

Here you could use a paint program to define bump levels - even just black and white.

Here is a brick wall image:

Brick wall 1.png

Here I have used a paint program to put the bricks at one level, and the mortar at another level:

Brick wall 2.png

Here is a rendering of the base texture on a brick wall with no bump maps:

Brick sample-no bump.jpg

Here is a rendering with this bump map applied to the rendering as well.

Brick sample-w-bump map.jpg

But we also have another feature, called "auto Bump" which provides a similar effect to this simple bump map.

Brick sample-auto-bump.jpg

Views: 81

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting -  as I'm just waiting for my copy of the Irender nxt rendering book from Amazon in the post it should have been here today, (early xmas present from the other half), surprisingly I have only just come across it,  I hadn't realised you guys had put a book together.

The bump map is used in the advanced materials and you can using the arroway free textures where you can get the diffuse map and the bump map in one download, as well as do your own

Cheers Richcat

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Render Plus created this Ning Network.

Search

Enter a phrase here to search the entire Render Plus web site:

Translate

Latest Activity

Rudi Schwarz posted photos
Mar 11
Chi Lau posted photos