All,

I am writing to request help in addressing the source of a problem within my rendering (see attached - troubleshoot.jpg).  I have upper windows (typical rectangular windows) in this space which the sun is shining through.  For some reason, when the shadows from the openings render, the shadow lines have a lot of static and are not a clean, crisp edge.  I have attached a low resolution image demonstrating this.  I realize that it may seem that this is due to the low resolution, low-pass image rendering, but I have rendered it on much higher settings and still experienced the same problem.  I have been generating these low resolution images all day trying to adjust different settings to eliminate this problem to no avail.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the culprit may be?

Thanks,

Michelle

Views: 167

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If the sky is on, light is sent from random points in the sky, with more random sky light source points added for each pass, so I would think the shadows from the sky should clean up after many passes, but you are saying that they never clean up.

Have you tried just using the sun and not using any illumination from the sky?

Also, can you post the model here so that we can try it? Just put it in a zip file and use the Upload Files button to attach it to a reply if you can.

Rich,

Thank you for your reply and help.  I believe I have tried turning the sky off and rendering; however, I will try this approach again now.  Following is a link where you can access the Sketchup file (it was too large to upload via this website.  Please let me know if you have any trouble accessing it.  Thank you again for your help in resolving this matter.

Sincerely,

Michelle

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a9zft7mo9vz8p1v/AADW2LS_ZKX6BrfMghkytTHZ...

Since your model was taking too long for testing, I made a sample model to test this, with a coule of windows and a simple hole in the ceiling, and believe I have found that the Cloudiness setting for the sun is the culprit.

Below are 3 rendered images from that model. The top 2 are with a Cloudiness setting of 52. The first is just 24 passes, the 2nd is after thousands of passes.

The 3rd image is with the cloudiness setting set to 0

See if turning off Cloudiness helps you with your problem.

Yes, this fixed the problem.  Thanks!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Render Plus created this Ning Network.

Search

Enter a phrase here to search the entire Render Plus web site:

Translate

Latest Activity

Rudi Schwarz posted photos
Mar 11
Chi Lau posted photos