I'm trying to bounce (specularly reflect) a focused, small width spot light off a mirror to get a spotlight-like spot on an object via the reflection. I'm not sure IRender nXt can do it. My forum searches & example browsing haven't found a solution in any case. I haven't figured out how to do it in Chief Architect or Punch! Architectural Series either.

I'm using SketchUp Pro 2017 as my modeler with a trial version of IRender nXt.

Any comments? Thank you.

Views: 350

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can place another spot light behind the mirror - but at the same height and "mirrored" location as the first spotlight, and aim the at the same place. (I drew a construction line to make it easy to aim them)

Then, in SketchUp, I set the mirror itself not to cast shadows.

Then, when you render, the beam from the second spot appears on the back wall as if reflected. 

the reflection of the beam on the wall is also seen in the mirror.

If you want an even more enhanced effect, use our "visible light path" trick to add a visible path to both spot lights, and the visible path will appear to be mirrored in the mirror.

http://www.renderplus.com/wp2/wk/Visible_Light_Paths.htm

Thanks for your help. I've been experimenting with various methods of achieving what I wanted.

I was hoping not to have to use a workaround for specularly reflecting illumination sources. It appears that illumination is only diffusely reflected. A spot (for a spotlight) appears on the mirror where the spot hits the surface and that spot illuminates other surfaces. It appears that making the mirror 100% reflective and the material color totally black results in no illumination from the mirror surface (other than the picture that is seen in the mirror which doesn't illuminate other surfaces).

Am I doing something wrong, or is it true that there is no specular reflection of illumination sources in your rendering algorithms?

Thanks.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Render Plus created this Ning Network.

Search

Enter a phrase here to search the entire Render Plus web site:

Translate

Latest Activity

Rudi Schwarz posted photos
Mar 11
Chi Lau posted photos