Is it appropriate to use a forum to provide technical support?

We have a client who feels rather strongly that a forum should not be used for technical support:

Why is this so hard for you to understand.  A forum is not tech support.  I sent a message and a private file to you so that you could supposedly fix the problem. ...  I didn't ask that my words be put on your forum, and in fact doing so violates the privacy of the email I sent to you.  I don't want the response posted on the forum.

Here was one of our responses:

When we receive an email request, we often post it to our forum, so that others may learn from the responses and also help with the solutions.

I am sorry that this method does not work for you.

We respect your privacy by not listing your name on the forum.

I am going to ask other forum users what they think about using a forum for support, and also post this on the SketchUcation forum so I can get opinions from their users.

What do you think? Is it appropriate to use a forum to provide technical support?

Views: 61

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Needs a life - cannot see what the problem is ! - there is usually more than one answer to a problem - posting a problem on the forum is much more likely to provide an holistic solution - more help the better

Boothy
As you said, we all learn from the various questions and responses, sometimes finding out about problems we didn't even know we had. If someone is that sensitive I guess they should start their info request with a privacy request.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Render Plus created this Ning Network.

Search

Enter a phrase here to search the entire Render Plus web site:

Translate

Latest Activity

Rudi Schwarz posted photos
Mar 11
Chi Lau posted photos
Mar 5