I have your book and have been experimenting, but I realise I am not clear on the difference between GLOW and SELF GLOW and when one would use one over the other.  

For 'quick and dirty' neon light which would I use: Glow or Self Glow, as opposed to creating a light source behind a coloured translucent material.s

I would also like to put a glow on the image on the cinema screen - what do I use for that.  I deduce I could perhaps make the film image a transparency and put a light source behind it, but it seems a lot of work if one of the glow functions would suffice?  Same applies for TV screens, computer monitors and pads.

Views: 134

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Glow" makes a material a source of illumination, the same as if it was a light.

For things which are indeed a light source, then Glow is more Photorealistically correct.
(But see the additional comments below)

"Self Glow" make a material brighter as if a light were shining on it, but does not ever cause the material to act like a light itself.

Neon Lights

For Neon Lights which illuminate the surface behind them, or cause shadows to be cast, Glow is better.

However, in most cases Self Glow will work fine.

Model with 75% glow assigned to the neon letters. SketchUp 3D Model courtesy of Omega Signs Limited. Rendering performed with IRender .
Same model with no special glow.

Televisions and Theatre Screens

Again a television in a dark room or a Theater Screen may cast light and cause shadows, but in most cases Self Glow will work just fine.

Television with 10% self-glow
Television with no glow

See: http://www.renderplus.com/wp2/wk/Glow.htm for more details

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Render Plus created this Ning Network.

Search

Enter a phrase here to search the entire Render Plus web site:

Translate

© 2024   Created by Render Plus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service