anyone have any thougths or examples on how to create a perforated metal surface that has the holes transparent so you can see through - for example within a 4 sided frame .  Idealy, the material is scalable so it can be stretched to fit any size.  Not sure if this is a skechup question or material/nxt question, but thougth I'd try here first.

thanks,

Larry 

Views: 1326

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Create an alpha-transparent image to use for the surface - wherever the PNG image is transparent, you will be able to see through the perforations.

Here I used the SketchUp Fence texture - which is alpha transparent.

Hi Larry

As Al says above to strectch it you could either make a dynamic component in SU or make transparent PNG tilable so when you stretch model by moving elements (not scaling) the png file should repeat.I attached a sample trans PNG perf door I did for cpu housing - I also included some hilights on PNG file around holes to give hint of indentation.Th PNG on this sample is fairly low res - for close ups you may require an higher res texture

Boothy

Attachments:
this works perfectly, excpet for the look - not a perf metal design. will search further

Al Hart said:
Create an alpha-transparent image to use for the surface - wherever the PNG image is transparent, you will be able to see through the perforations.

Here I used the SketchUp Fence texture - which is alpha transparent.

now this is exactly what I'm looking for. Will investiage your rec as I'm not sure how to create a dynamic component, but will look into that as well as the transparent png, thanks much

Boothy said:
Hi Larry

As Al says above to strectch it you could either make a dynamic component in SU or make transparent PNG tilable so when you stretch model by moving elements (not scaling) the png file should repeat.I attached a sample trans PNG perf door I did for cpu housing - I also included some hilights on PNG file around holes to give hint of indentation.Th PNG on this sample is fairly low res - for close ups you may require an higher res texture

Boothy

if its a `one off`

component it may be easier to produce repeatable tile in photoshop and stretch components accordingly
Boothy

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Render Plus created this Ning Network.

Search

Enter a phrase here to search the entire Render Plus web site:

Translate

© 2024   Created by Render Plus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service