sheer curtains - everytime I try to make a material translucent in SketchUp, it has a glass-like appearance when rendered with IRender nXt.

Views: 497

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We probably need you to create a small model and image we can look at.

Here I created a translucent cylinder, with a yellow light inside of it. If you look hard you can see the light itself.

The cylinder has there material settings:

Transoarency: 0.70

Refraction: 1.00

Translucency: 0.50

Does it have the glass like effect you describe?

Al,

I'm sorry to have bothered you. I tried to reproduce the problem and as you can see by the attachment - I am getting the effect I want. I think I was remembering the problem with another rendering program. Thanks again for your time.

Attachments:

Great - always great to hear when something works right and Rich and I don't have to try to fix it.

After I played around with the SketchUp file, I noticed I got the shiny effect when using all the defaults settings and rendering in high dynamic. I don't get this effect when rendering with sun. I've pasted jpgs below.

I would like to send you the Sketchp file but do not know how to do it in this manner. Could trying to send it using the reply be causing my problem? The file is only 2.38 MB

The SketchUp file does not have any IRender lights. I modified it further for the previous replies. Instead it was used with another rendering package (previous to getting Render nXt). Could that renderer be causing some conflict with your rendering engine?

Use the Uploads menu above to send the .SKP file, or email it to support@renderplus.com.

I can't tell by looking at the JPEG's which is right or which is wrong, or what the problem is. You may need to be more specific.

Our Rendering package does pick up some Kerkythea settings and some Podium settings. But without the model, and without knowing what to look for it is hard to guess what might be wrong.

Here are the two images again with some additional text.

I sent you the SketchUp file per your email response. I'm slowly getting better with this Forum stuff...

Thank you for sending the .SKP file.

The only setting on the curtains - material: curtain1 - was transparency in SketchUp.

The default rendering settings for transparent materials is to treat them as thin, reflective glass - so that the rendering of the curtains was very much like the rendering of the windows. We make windows reflective because windows are reflective, and because it makes exterior scenes more realistic because there is often reflection of the sky in the windows.

If you right click on the sheer curtain, and select "IRender nXt/Create Material" then you can override the settings for Curtain1.

Here are the default settings it gets - because it is transparent:

(Note reflection intensity on the Main tab is 1.00 - set it to 0.00, and the Index of refraction on the Trans tab is 1.50, set it to 1.00)

Here is a rendering with the default settings - having the glass like reflection you noticed:

Here is a rendering with reflection set to 0.00 and Refraction set to 1.0:

Next, I went to the Trans tab and set Translucency to 1.00. This has the effect of making the curtain like a lamp shade - it lets light through - but objects behind the curtain are not specifically visible. This would be more effective if the scene was being illuminated more by light coming from the scene behind the window - rather than the sunlight coming from behind the camera because of your other transparent walls.

Also, you can lower the effect of the translucency by setting ti to values less than 1.00 to achieve a partial translucency.

Scene with a translucent curtain:

Thanks for your time with this. I appreciate it.

One of the great things about your product is the attention and help provided in these forums. Keep up the good work.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Render Plus created this Ning Network.

Search

Enter a phrase here to search the entire Render Plus web site:

Translate

© 2024   Created by Render Plus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service