I'm having a hard time getting interior lightning to work properly. I tried doing the cove lighting technique and its not working out for me. The result is nothing like the video tutorial. I've been struggling with this for some time now. I upload my model using hightrail. 

Views: 251

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You may want to start with a smaller model to get some of these things working.

I zoomed out on your model and found these lights:

They are all pointing up in the air, and there is nothing for them to bounce light off of.

End even if they were able to bounce light off of something, the light could not get back into the room because it would have to get through the ceiling.

Here is a quick model for Indirect lighting.

I placed a second ceiling with a large opening below the main ceiling and then I placed a "ceiling" light on the suspended ceiling, pointing up. (You would actually place several lights on the suspended ceiling, but a single one will be easier to understand)

The when I render it, I get this:

The light has to bounce off of the actual ceiling and back down into the room.

This is after just a 50 passes, so you can see the individual sample points of light bouncing. For this effect to work, you need more passes (and more lights)

Here is a sample with 4 lights - one in each corner - and 120 passes.

You can see how the effect is starting to work. But it will take 1,000 passes or more to converge better.

Also, if there was more lighting in the room, (e.g. wall lights, or task lights), it would converge better. Things work better with more light.

I suggest you experiment with a smaller model, like this, so you can extract and render faster, to learn to make the indirect lighting work.

Thanks so much for the tips. however I don't have enough time to experiment because i have a deadline to meet thats why i wanted to see the best way to get lighting for those scenes i mentioned in this model

Al Hart said:

You may want to start with a smaller model to get some of these things working.

I zoomed out on your model and found these lights:

They are all pointing up in the air, and there is nothing for them to bounce light off of.

End even if they were able to bounce light off of something, the light could not get back into the room because it would have to get through the ceiling.

Here is a quick model for Indirect lighting.

I placed a second ceiling with a large opening below the main ceiling and then I placed a "ceiling" light on the suspended ceiling, pointing up. (You would actually place several lights on the suspended ceiling, but a single one will be easier to understand)

The when I render it, I get this:

The light has to bounce off of the actual ceiling and back down into the room.

This is after just a 50 passes, so you can see the individual sample points of light bouncing. For this effect to work, you need more passes (and more lights)

Here is a sample with 4 lights - one in each corner - and 120 passes.

You can see how the effect is starting to work. But it will take 1,000 passes or more to converge better.

Also, if there was more lighting in the room, (e.g. wall lights, or task lights), it would converge better. Things work better with more light.

I suggest you experiment with a smaller model, like this, so you can extract and render faster, to learn to make the indirect lighting work.

The best way to get lighting will be to place a few 2 x 2  ceiling lights in the ceiling of the room.  Multiple ceiling lights create a soft lighting effect and don't require as many rendering passes as indirect, cove lighting which should be used only rarely.

Here is my model with 4 ceiling lights and 20 lighting passes:

(Normally you will not actually see the ceiling lights)

This is my result. it didn't come out ow i wanted it to. I re-uploaded my model as well

Al Hart said:

The best way to get lighting will be to place a few 2 x 2  ceiling lights in the ceiling of the room.  Multiple ceiling lights create a soft lighting effect and don't require as many rendering passes as indirect, cove lighting which should be used only rarely.

Here is my model with 4 ceiling lights and 20 lighting passes:

(Normally you will not actually see the ceiling lights)

This is my result. it didn't come out ow i wanted it to. I re-uploaded my model as well

The squares on the back wall look like sun or sky coming in through the windows. If there is no glass in the window it will take about 100 passes or more for the sun ans sky to blend out.

I do see a ceiling light. If there is both sky and interior lighting, you will want to balance the lights with the Light Balancer. See: http://www.renderplus.com/wp2/wk/Light_Balancer.htm

Everything else seems ok.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Render Plus created this Ning Network.

Search

Enter a phrase here to search the entire Render Plus web site:

Translate

Latest Activity

Rudi Schwarz posted photos
Mar 11
Chi Lau posted photos