Hi Al/Rich

I know we have touched on this before but with my models getting more complex and wanting to create higher resolution images I am finding a single render session (a full day at the office or evening at home)not long enough to complete the required number of passes. I do not like to leave tbe higher computers running unattended either at home or at work.

It would be therefore so useful to be able to stop the render a given point and pickup later,possibly on another machine or resume the next day. The basic technology must be there in the same way has the render farm splits the workflow up into separate chunks. It would be really useful to split batch render into chunks and render each chunk separately.I would be very happy for this to be any derivative ,even just splitting into 2 chunks would be a great help, a choice of number of chunks would be brilliant.

With some of my larger panoramas (large interior models ) I am usually rendering @ 6000x3000 to achive a quality resolution for long distance detail/zooming in.With a detailed model with a lot of interior lighting this can sometimes mean at least an hour per pass.

If I could split up workload similar to render farm but in individual sessions I could spread render over anumber of days rather than at present waiting to the weekend to render 30-40 passes.

Thanks

Boothy

Views: 312

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Boothy,

With the Path Tracer, or with Engine 4, you can render a scene, save it as a nXtImage file, then start the whole rendering over later, save it as a separate nXtImage file and then simply merger them in the nXtImage editor.

The way these engines work is that every pass and every rendering is individual, and not based on other passes. So that just merging two 100 pass images is the same a rendering a 200 pass image.

Hi Al

I did not realise you could merge files, but having said that both renderers take so much longer than standard packet mode to achieve a similar result it does not really help me.

Thanks

Boothy

Can't you just do this with the render farm now?

Or is it a problem of not being authorized to use the Render Farm?

Hi Rich

Can I split up render into sections,process individually and put back together afterwards at different time on same machine? I have not used renderfarm for a while but will give another if this is possible I will give it another go.

Is this possible ?

Thanks

Boothy

From your first post, I thought you wanted to render the while thing for a while, and then add more passes later. You can do this if you can leave the batch renderer running on the server.

If you want to split up the job into horizontal slices, then you can use Packet Mode, and either do it yourself, or use the Render Farm.

The basic render farm slices the image up into horizontal groups of rows of pixels and processes them one slice at a time, and then stiches all the results together into a single image. (all in nXtImage format) For very large jobs this would make sense. (The overhead of transferring the model to a network drive, and loading it to render each slice make it impractical for renderings which take an hour or less).

We recommend using about 2.5X as many slices as machines so that the various speeds of the various machines can be compensated for. Making too many slices, wastes a lot of time starting each slice. and with two few slices (e.g. just 1X the number of machines), it one machine is slow, the other machine sits idle which the slow one completes its slice.

Also, the render farm only made sense with some powerful machines to do the rendering. When we first got it we set up all of our machines to participate, but the older, slower, machines without much RAM took to long to be of much value.

Yes. I just did it on this single laptop, no other network machines involved. 

I set the "tasks" to 16 and launched it.

It rendered each one of the 16 slices, and then automatically assembled them when they were done, all on my laptop.

I could have paused the farm at any time and finished the remaining slices tomorrow.

Boothy said:

Hi Rich

Can I split up render into sections,process individually and put back together afterwards at different time on same machine? I have not used renderfarm for a while but will give another if this is possible I will give it another go.

Is this possible ?

Thanks

Boothy

And, you can assemble and view the partially completed slices to decide if you want to let the process finish.

Also, we could use some feedback on how to improve the Render Farm.

Thanks Guys

I have obviously not thought about this one enough,busy tonight but will try tommorrow and get back to you,will my old render farm authkrisation still work?

Thanks again

Boothy

Yes, nothing has changed about the licensing.

Hi Rich /Al

Finally got around to testing the render farm option, this works OK in theory but unfortunately running on server only it was incredibly slow on large renders, so much so it really was not worth doing (I split up a large panorama into 8 tasks and after 14 hours it had not completed any. Also although workable I find the whole multi-dialogue of render farm if not confusing certainly busy and therefore very easy to make a mistake with settings. Have you ever tried with a large model? 

Thanks 

Boothy 

mistake

How many server machines were you using?

You need to use at least two machines just to test it, but you really need to use more machines to get a good effect. The overhead of loading the data into Farm machines, starting up the individual tasks, and stitching together the images is onlu going to work well (speed wise) if you have several very fast machines to split up the load)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Render Plus created this Ning Network.

Search

Enter a phrase here to search the entire Render Plus web site:

Translate

© 2024   Created by Render Plus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service