I am rendering an interior view of a room within a Revit model. There are windows and light fixtures. for the first test, setting was set for small size, Biased Packet Mode. The resulting rendering was that of two cross members that filled the screen, no other details and no background. I tried changing the image size and rendering engine without positive results. In one of the other engines, the process was very slow and the resulting image was a black screen.

I have been able to get results for an exterior rendering of a separate project.

My version is QE02rv.

Any clues?

Views: 655

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It looks like, since we are now getting the textures and mapping coordinates from Revit, we are using the wrong texture mappping from the AccuRender materials. 

I will see if I can fix this quickly.

Thanks.

Jerry W. Childers said:

I think my problem is that I do not know how the definition of materials in Revit affect the materials in AR nXt for Revit.

I started my model in Revit (2018) using a few simple materials for simple illustrations.  I used both the shaded model method and the "realistic" method in Revit. The materials and methods were a good start but not good enough. (units of measure are feet in Revit)

I switched to AR nXt. I think that I noticed that some of the material definitions may have been imported from the Revit file. I tried to create more accurate materials for horizontal siding, common brick work and field stone. I tried to experiment with the variables for the X & Y variables for the procedural patterns and for image passed patterns. I tried experimenting with the variables used for the display (sphere, cube, etc.) and the display cube.

I sent the previous email out of frustration. I  had been able to achieve reasonable results using the built-in rendering engine within Revit.

After receiving your response, I started this reply. In an effort to be clear regarding the variables that were in play, I made an attempt to experiment with the lined image pattern that I created for 4" horizontal siding. I experimented with a fresh start. I used the cube for visual testing of the pattern. Previously, I had been operating on the assumption that scale factor was related to the units for the x & y values. I decided that this process would not work and I tried using the scale factor for the cube to represent 8 feet (Revit's units). I then adjusted the X and Y values in order to get 24 repeats of the 4" exposure for the siding. HURRAY!.  It worked. In addition, the stone pattern that I had defined for use for the Revit rendering engine must have been transferred "adopted" by the nXt rendering engine. This worked. I think that I better understand the basics regarding the scale factor and the X & Y values used to define the patterns for materials.

Although I am happy that the field stone pattern that I developed for the Revit rendering, I do not understand what made the difference and allowed that material definition to be accessible to the AR nXt rendering engine.

I would appreciate your input so that I have a better understanding so that I can achieve predictable results.

By the way, AR nXt is much faster than the Revit rendering engine and I like the results much better.

Thanks for keeping this wonderful rendering engine operating for the world of Revit users, especially me.

Best of luck for the coming year.

Jerry Childers, Architect 

We uploaded a new version of AR nXt for Revit which will make it much easier to work with Revit textured materials.

First, we fixed a bug where we not consistently getting the proper texture coordinates. You should now be able to just set the texture size in Revit Material Editor and see the texture render at the same size in the AR nXt rendering window.

Also, if you do want to override the the texture size in the rendering window for some reason, you can do that more easily. We made the Tile sizes available on the Textures tab in our material editor, so you don't have to open the Advanced material editor the change those sizes. 

Note: If you have changed the texture size in the rendering window, it will not affect the texture size that you see in Revit, but we will continue to render the model using that changed texture size until you use the Revit material editor to change the texture size, The texture image, the transparency, or the reflection. A change like that will cancel the AR nXt overrides and remake the material using just the Revit settings.  You can also quickly revert to the Revit texture size and other settings by using the Clear button on our material dialog to cancel any AR nXt material overrides currently on the material.

The new version, "SA14", is available on our downloads page:

https://renderplus.com/wp2/download/

Please try it when you  get a chance.

Jerry W. Childers said:

I think my problem is that I do not know how the definition of materials in Revit affect the materials in AR nXt for Revit.

I started my model in Revit (2018) using a few simple materials for simple illustrations.  I used both the shaded model method and the "realistic" method in Revit. The materials and methods were a good start but not good enough. (units of measure are feet in Revit)

I switched to AR nXt. I think that I noticed that some of the material definitions may have been imported from the Revit file. I tried to create more accurate materials for horizontal siding, common brick work and field stone. I tried to experiment with the variables for the X & Y variables for the procedural patterns and for image passed patterns. I tried experimenting with the variables used for the display (sphere, cube, etc.) and the display cube.

I sent the previous email out of frustration. I  had been able to achieve reasonable results using the built-in rendering engine within Revit.

After receiving your response, I started this reply. In an effort to be clear regarding the variables that were in play, I made an attempt to experiment with the lined image pattern that I created for 4" horizontal siding. I experimented with a fresh start. I used the cube for visual testing of the pattern. Previously, I had been operating on the assumption that scale factor was related to the units for the x & y values. I decided that this process would not work and I tried using the scale factor for the cube to represent 8 feet (Revit's units). I then adjusted the X and Y values in order to get 24 repeats of the 4" exposure for the siding. HURRAY!.  It worked. In addition, the stone pattern that I had defined for use for the Revit rendering engine must have been transferred "adopted" by the nXt rendering engine. This worked. I think that I better understand the basics regarding the scale factor and the X & Y values used to define the patterns for materials.

Although I am happy that the field stone pattern that I developed for the Revit rendering, I do not understand what made the difference and allowed that material definition to be accessible to the AR nXt rendering engine.

I would appreciate your input so that I have a better understanding so that I can achieve predictable results.

By the way, AR nXt is much faster than the Revit rendering engine and I like the results much better.

Thanks for keeping this wonderful rendering engine operating for the world of Revit users, especially me.

Best of luck for the coming year.

Jerry Childers, Architect 

Jerry, we were just wondering if you had had a chance to try that "SA14" that I referred to on my last message here.

Thanks, Rich

I missed your reference to SA14.  I am headed out of the office for about 2 weeks. I was able to cobble together an approach that gave me the results that I needed.

I will check out SA14 when I return. Based on the description that you gave, sounds like it addressed the issues.

Thanks for your continued support.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Render Plus created this Ning Network.

Search

Enter a phrase here to search the entire Render Plus web site:

Translate

Latest Activity

Rudi Schwarz posted photos
Mar 11
Chi Lau posted photos